The Carbonshed Lab welcomes applications from highly motivated students to join our lab at the Ph.D. level. If you have a M.S. degree (or equivalent research experience) and if you are already fluent in GIS, computer programming, and MATLAB, please contact Diego for details. The earlier you contact us (e.g., 6 mo or 1 yr in advance), the better, as it will give us a chance to seek funding together. Send along your CV and a two-page research statement.
Why get a Ph.D.?
Read this excellent graduate school survival guide written years ago by a former graduate student at UNC-Chapel Hill.
- Diego Riveros-Iregui is an Associate Professor in the Department of Geography at Carolina. He is interested in watershed science, forest and soil processes, ecosystem ecology, and landscape biophysical responses to environmental change. He teaches undergraduate and graduate courses on the biophysical responses of the environment to hydrology and human-induced change.
Google Scholar Profile.
- Joseph Delesantro, Ph.D. candidate (Ecology)
B.S. Env. Eng. (2010), M.S., Forest Res. (2013)
University of Florida.
- Andrew Murray, Ph.D. candidate (Geography)
B.S. Geography (2012), M.S., Geography (2016)
University of Cincinnati
- Kriddie Whitmore, Ph.D. student (Geography)
B.S. Biology (2011), B.A. Geology (2011), Guilford College.
M.S. Forestry (2016), Virginia Tech
- Natalie Gauger, B.A. Student Environmental Studies (major), Urban Planning (minor)
- Maribel Herrera, B.S. Student Environmental Science, B.A. student Geography
None at this time.
- William Avery (B.S. 2013, UNL). now Ph.D. student, University of Wisconsin
- Morgan Betcher (B.S. Honors 2014)
- Emily Browning, (B.S.P.H. Honors 2018), now M.S. student at University of North Carolina
- Rebecca Chaisson, (B.A. 2018)
- Wesley Collier, (B.S. Student, 2018) transferred to NC State
- Meredith Emery, B.A. (Honors), Studio Art (2020), Geography (minor), now MFA student and Beineke Scholar
- Anayancy Estacio-Manning, B.A. Global Studies (2020), Environmental Studies (minor)
- Catie Finkenbiner (B.S. 2014, UNL). now Ph.D. student, Oregon State University
- Adam Gold (B.S. 2015), now Ph.D. student University of North Carolina
- William Hamilton, (B.S. 2019), Environmental Science, Computer Science (minor). Graduated with Highest Honors.
- Liyin Liang (post-doc 2011-2013, UNL). now Research Scientist, Landcare Research, New Zealand
- Theresa Lorenzo (M.S. 2014, UNL). now Ph.D. student, Arizona State University
- Sarah McQueen, (B.S. 2019). Biology. Graduated with Honors.
- Haley Moser, (B.S. Environmental Science, B.A. Geography 2018) now Research Analyst at Wine Intelligence
- Tianzhen Nie, (B.S. 2019) Environmental Science
- Colin Peake (M.S. 2014, UNL). now Hydrologist, U.S. Geological Survey
- Camilo Peña (Visiting Scholar, 2014), now Soil Scientist, Colombian state agency
- Megan Raisle, B.A. Environmental Studies (2020), Geography (minor)
- Sarah Schmitt (Ph.D. 2018, Geography), now Senior Scientist, Applied Research Associates, Washington, D.C.
- Chloe Schneider, B.S. (2020) Environmental Science, B.A. (2020) Geography
- Catherine Schumak (B.S. 2016), now M.S. student University of Wisconsin
- Courtney Scogging (B.S. 2016), now researcher at LabCorp
- Nehemiah Stewart, B.S. Student Chemistry, B.S. Student Math
- Rhyan Stone, (B.S. 2019) Environmental Science
- Erin Vanderjeugdt (B.S. 2016), now technician at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- Aleah Walsh, B.S. (2016), now M.S. student University of North Carolina